The Optidisc® Cutterbar: A Clean and Consistent Cut
Lubed-For-Life Optidisc® Cutterbar
The Optidisc® cutterbar provides a flat, streamlined profile so that soil and crop residue do not accumulate and material flows smoothly, even in heavy, difficult crop conditions. These mowers come standard with the Fast-Fit® quick release knife system. Optidisc cutterbars are designed and tested with a zero oil change interval. The highly-polished gears and synthetic gear oil ensure that this system does not require any regular internal maintenance, eliminating the need for cutterbar oil changes throughout the life of the machine.
Differential Disc Spacing
The innovative design of the Optidisc cutterbar offers exclusive differential disc spacing.
- Less Distance for a Clean Cut - Narrower spacing at diverging discs provides greater knife overlap, which results in a clean cut, even when the grass is short or light.
- More Distance for Easy Crop Passage - Wider spacing at converging discs provides more space for the crop to pass. Cut crop is quickly carried away from the cutting area, greatly improving the cut quality.
Standard Fast-Fit® Knives
The Fast-Fit® quick-release knife system allows an operator to rapidly change out cutting knives with the use of a simple tool, yet still retain optimum cut quality and knife life. With Fast-Fit, an operator can achieve up to 50% time savings over a standard system.
Easily Adjustable Overlap
For a clean cut on slopes and bends, the overlap between the front and rear units can be adjusted hydraulically between 12” and 18” (depending on the model combination) – even while driving. This is a real benefit for tractors with wide wheel spacing or large wheels.
Protectadrive® Disc Bearing Stations
- Protectadrive® Safety: Every minute saved during the hay season is precious. Ultimate protection, from the externally removable Protectadrive disc bearing stations, provides maximum reliability and quick service. In the event of an impact between a disc and an obstacle, the shaft holding the disc can shear just above the bearing. This is thanks to its carefully dimensioned shear groove. As a result, the gear teeth are protected.
- Extra Rigidity Where it Counts: Disc bearing stations are attached by bolts that pass through the entire cutterbar. This is an exceptionally strong and secure attachment with no risk of mount being torn out of the cutterbar in case of shocks. The disc drive pinion is held precisely in place, all resulting in excellent reliability and reduced maintenance costs.
- Gear-to-Gear Power Transmission: Gear-to-gear power transmission, a staple of all KUHN disc mowers, allows for maximum power to be transferred through all gears in the cutterbar. Unlike other gear cutterbars, equal sized gears throughout reduces torque on the gear teeth and leads to unsurpassed reliability and longevity.
Exceptional Ground Adaptation and Maneuverability
Superior Ground Adaptation
Front mowing units have to remain flexible enough to smoothly adapt to any terrain changes they may encounter. At the same time, they are often subject to higher stress. The KUHN front mount mowers are designed for this purpose, they feature a pendulum-type articulation of the mowing unit and significant adaptability characteristics. They can oscillate left to right at an angle of up to 30° and cover a vertical travel range of 27.5”.
Lift-Control Hydropneumatic Suspension
Lift-Control is much more than just a suspension system with a nitrogen accumulator replacing the traditional spring. The main advantage of the Lift-Control system is derived from the exclusive way in which kinetic forces that act on the cutterbar are utilized. KUHN engineers have succeeded in making a dynamic suspension system, as opposed to the passive system most commonly used.
With the Lift-Control system, as the force exerted on the cutterbar increases, the suspension system automatically lightens the cutterbar. The greater the force, the lighter the cutterbar.
- Constant ground pressure
- Non-stop safety breakaway
- Excellent terrain following
- Less soil in the crop
- Minimize torn up turf
UNIFORM CROP CONDITIONING
DigiDry® Finger Conditioner
The DigiDry® finger conditioner provides consistent drying of grass and legume crops in various conditions with little maintenance. Wide rotor, fingerstyle conditioning increase crop-on-crop rubbing to strip off the waxy cuticle helping the steams dry at the same rate as the leaves. The built-in breakback feature normally protects against damage from rock and other foreign materials.
Diamond Block® Conditioning
Diamond Block® conditioning rollers stand out from the competition as the only rubber roller set designed exclusively for a disc mower. The horizontal staggered diamond pattern gives more points for the crop to be crimped as it flows off the disc at an angle. Adjustment of the roll pressure and roll gap is simple and can be done quickly in the field.
Direct Drive Design
The direct drive design to the conditioner provides easy access for servicing and fully eliminates belts. Reliability is greatly improved when working in longer crops such as ryegrass.
Built-In Rotor Protection
To help prevent damage to the conditioner gearbox in the unlikely event of an overload or ingestion of a large foreign object, the shear bolt hub allows the operator to clear the obstruction from the conditioner, quickly rotate the inner hub into position, install the new shear bolt and return to mowing.